Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Interpreting Scripture.

Interpreting scripture can sometimes be hard. Especially since we still deal with our sinful nature, and it likes to take hold of the words and make it say what it wants to say. Our sinful nature never wants deal with repentance. But living in the Spirit, the Scriptures keep us in check. At times the devil wants to tempt us, did God really say? Did God really mean it? It worked on Eve, and it works on us.

Whenever I use to come across a hard passage in scripture, I didn't want to believe it. I'd pray about it, then try to think of every possible way to make the Bible say the opposite. Sometimes I'd feel really good when I thought I made an insightful discovery. Aren't I so clever? I thought that feeling must be the Holy Spirit. In fact, I must be right, because it feels so assuring!

However, my method turns scripture into play dough. I build with it what I want to build. Feelings are great when I truly see the scriptures for what they are, and I come to conclusions legitimately. But feelings themselves don't make an interpretation legitimate. If I have philosophical explanations and rational deductions as the content of the message then I am dodging the words. I have put myself as a master over scripture. Does the Bible really need my help? Am I smarter than the Bible?

"That's impossible," is never a viable excuse to ignore scripture. Do I use my reason or God's reason? Who am I to say what is impossible with God, especially when the issue is with God's word? The matter is one of exegesis or eisegesis. Am I drawing out God's truth from the text, or am I reading my own ideas into it? Sometimes "damage control" ends up causing more damage. If I violate the perspicuity of scripture, I am only muddying something that is intended to be clear. Just some things to remind myself when answering the question, Did God really say?

If at times it doesn't appear to be clear, what do I do?

Well, what does the Church teach? Ideally, the Church has all the right teaching. But in reality, churches can and do err. But at the same time, scripture and the church go together. The Church is way older than me, and has way more people than just me. The Bible is a community book. That is the best start. Two heads are better than one. I don't have to reinvent the wheel all by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment