Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"I Cannot possibly be Wrong, because I'm always Right."

I question any human institution that believes it is right on the basis that it is always above critique. Why is it that people put themselves into this category when they're on the outside looking into religion? They cannot accept criticism. They like to investigate the idea of a higher power, but get tweaked if they find themselves at odds against God. By the way, even many churches will constructively criticize themselves based on scripture. But what do most nonreligious use? They can't possibly be wrong because they're always right. They can't bear religion or else they'd have to admit their whole life is going the wrong way.

A lot of religions have been made to validate man's sins. When you find a god that doesn't challenge or humble you, perhaps you have fashioned your own god out of your own image. Or you have simply made a god out of yourself? I guess that is just two ways of saying the same thing. But I think this is exemplified in the common confession, "I am spiritual but not religious." Isn't this just another way of saying, "I believe in a higher truth but there isn't any standard of truth, except for myself?"

Where do people get these ideas? It's like this secret knowledge or gnosticism. Nobody wants to stand for truth or else they might offend someone. If you want to find truth, prepare to be offended. The world is bigger than yourself. Furthermore, God is bigger than yourself. So get over yourself.

End rant.

Of course this is a gross over generalization. But I find it true in many circumstances, even within myself. Sometimes you just gotta call people on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment