Monday, October 11, 2010

Proof Texts on Trial: (OSAS)

As someone who used to believe in the teaching of Eternal Security, a.k.a. Once Saved Always Saved, I'm a bit surprised that I can't find any verses that appear to teach it. But this seems to be a common one:

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. - John 10:27,28

How is this to be understood? I try to think of two things: sub-plot and context.

Sub-Plot: Jesus is in Jerusalem where he will be tried by the religious establishment and sentenced for crucifixion. It isn't the last time he will be here, but you can see where this is quickly going. Christ has already called the flock, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it" (Mark 8:34,35). Jesus has already counted the cost and he is on his baptismal road into death - the sheep are to follow. We are to follow Christ into death.

Context: Jesus emphasizes that he is going to the grave. "I am the Good shepherd.. I lay down my life for the sheep... I lay down my life that I may take it up again" (John 10: 14-17). Therefore when Jesus says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand," the imagery hearkens us to the Messianic Psalm 23: Christ is our Shepherd who leads us through the Valley of the Shadow of Death. It is Messianic promise fulfillment regarding our bodies. We will not perish because we will be resurrected and shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Verdict: It is important to know the context of what Jesus means by "follow" and what it means where he is going. It does not say that those who turn away from Jesus are still in his hand - but that those who follow Jesus into death will be raised. Though people may take our lives, our lives are in the hand of God. Death will have no victory over us. Jesus saves us from being devoured by death by leading us through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment